EFFICIENT MARKET THEORY
Eugene Fama developed EMH theory forty years ago in three forms that are weak , strong and semi-strong .there were two important criteria of EMH theory.
· Availability of new information can only cause change in the prices of shares
· The current prices of the shares shows all the information or data used by the market
EMH a bad science
Arguments against EMH theory
· Even after the global recession many companies, markets and governments are in favor to promote the semi –strong hypothesis. Soon after the 1985 crash a academic community started a camp of awareness that the EMH is a bad science in whatever form it is.
· First reason for calling it a bad science is that EMH follows those assumptions that have no empirical evidence that these assumptions are 100% true.
· Financial models are based on efficiency, rationality and EMH is far from real world applicability therefore EMH increases its chance of beng bad science
· EMH doesn’t develop alternative financial modes for the guidance of corporate sector and its management
· EMH doesn’t provide models to guide the corporate management that how they can set the shareholder wealth via equity prices.
· According to behavioral theorists markets has a sense to memorize and view the society as a non-linier
· The view of EMH is based on assumption that anything can be maximize with market incoherence and speculative thinking which is not true.
· Financial models are bedrock for the modern finance, unfortunately EMH failed to provide such models to the corporate sector
Ø Longer-run resource value misalignments in all likelihood speak to the most genuine indication of the disappointment of the productive business speculation. Most tests of the theory don't give prove, somehow, about the likelihood of such misalignments. Different sorts of confirmation, then again, unequivocally propose that such misalignments exist, at minimum on occasion. In the stock market, the evaluating of shut end stores is difficult to see as the result of a proficient business sector.
The 1987 stock market crash, and the uncommon run-up in US stock costs over the 1990s are both difficult to comprehend with the exception of regarding markets which have moved some separation away from levels reliable with basics. The failure of models focused around financial basics to clarify more than a little portion of the year-to-year developments in coasting trade rates has undermined trust in the limit of the effective business speculation to give a persuading portrayal of this business sector. This certainty has been further23 disintegrated by the odd conduct of the US dollar in the 1980s and the Yen in the 1990s.
Arguments in favor of EMH
According to M.A. Skrutkowski, Lund University the ramifications of the Data Hypothesis are broad to the point, that it is conceivable to harbor a considerable measure of apparently bizarre value conduct under its top." We have no real way to characterize "data" other than that its what moves costs. Then again, the EMH did not result in the money related emergency. It was not awful science however the terrible deeds that are the certain result of a liberated free enterprise belief system that the EMH is utilized to legitimize.
· Supporters of the EMH theory can contend that numerous appearing infringement of the theory are rather illustrations of the 'awful model' issue. Under this elucidation, unsurprising abundance returns speak to remuneration for hazard, which is inaccurately measured by the benefit valuing model being utilized. While this is an intelligent probability, it probably applies with logically less constrain the longer the infringement stay unexplained utilizing models focused around the proficient market speculation.
M.A. Skrutkowski, L. U. (n.d.). Why the Financial
Crisis Was Caused by Bad Science . Kinky Demand and Tautologies .
Meredith Beechey, D. G. (n.d.). THE EFFICIENT MARKET HYPOTHESIS:.